Accountability After the Countdown



"Monday. I'm going to kick it into high-gear on Monday," I tell myself.

And I do...till about Thursday evening.

"Next Monday," I say. "Next Monday will be the day..."

And so it has gone for the past 5 years or so. Every few weeks, and every New Year's, I re-new my effort to lose "the last 5 pounds."

But this time I mean it. This will be the year I finally lose those last 5 pounds.

How will this time be different you ask? Because this time I have what I have never had before: Accountability.

Many studies have proved that once you commit yourself to a goal, not only internally, but on display for the world to see, your chances of completing that goal multiply.

Why do you think in AA people are encouraged to get a sponsor? Because accountability works. It motivates you to achieve a goal not only for the specific benefits the accomplishment will reap, but also for the acknowledgment of your peers that you are a person of your word.

So, I'm putting it out there. I'm going to do it. And everyone has my permission to make totally inappropriate comments on my blog if I fail.

For those of you with a similar New Year's Resolution, I implore you to take this advice and find your own form of accountability. Whether your goal is to lose 5 or 50 pounds, begin a new fitness routine, or even swear off a certain cellulite producing sweet, having someone or something to answer to will aid in success.

1. Make it specific. Don't just say, "I'm going to lose weight." Or "I'm going to get in better shape." That allows wiggle room, and it's not quantifiable. Make it concrete.

I will lose 5 pounds...down to 120 lbs from 125 lbs.

2. Set a date to achieve your goal.
Make sure it's realistic...if you're not sure, ask a friend.

Mine is 1 month (January 31st).

3. Sweeten the deal. If the boost in self-esteem isn't enough incentive, come up with something to reward yourself once you've achieved your goal. Take that trip or buy that purse you've been thinking about for the past year. Fund it with the extra money you have from skipping Yogurtland :)

I think I'll purchase a new bikini to show off my hard work.

4. Find a form of Accountability:

-Team-up. Ask your best-friend, significant other, or carb-conscious co-worker to forge the trail with you. For the next X amount of time, you two will agree to divulge every Devil's Food dilemma and Sausage slip-up. When others are indulging in Red Velvet cake you two will be encouraging each other to head to Runyon Canyon.

-Keep a Progress Report. This 2008 study found that people who kept a food journal lost two times the weight of those who did not. If losing lbs is not your goal and working up to a marathon is, keep a log of how many miles you clock each day.

-Join an Online Program. Many health blogs have free online programs you can join to track your progress and give you healthy tips along the way. Self.com has four separate plans to follow based on your goal.

-Join a Fitness Group. From committing to always make a certain class at your gym to joining a weekly running group, you will find that there are many people in your area with similar goals that can help motivate you. The Los Angeles Running Group meets a few times a week at various locations and welcomes newcomers for free. If you decide you like it, you can join for a yearly fee of $40.

-Make an Announcement. Last but not least, inform everyone in your inner circle of your commitment to your goal. If the people you care about know that you are serious about success, they will be more considerate and supportive. Perhaps your boyfriend will suggest an early morning stroll instead of a cinnamon roll and your cube mate will keep her cupcakes to herself.

Comments