Reassessing My Resolution

So as you know if you read my New Year's post, I had made a goal to lose 5 pounds this month. This morning was the moment of revelation. After 4 weeks of upping my exercise regimen and lowering my calorie intake I was extremely disappointed to read the number on the scale...125. That's right exactly the same number that I started off with.

Throughout the month I have fluctuated (as always) between about 122 and 127. My goal was to reach 120 though and reset my weight range to 120-125. Frustrated with the results, or lack there of, I hit the net for some insight into my dilemma.

According to the "Set-Point" theory originally developed in 1982, your body has a set weight it is constantly fighting to maintain in direct opposition to any weight loss attempts you may make.

"The set-point cannot tell the difference between dieting and starvation," states an article from MIT Medical. "Calorie deprivation...acts as a signal for the body to turn down it's metabolic rate. Because of this innate biological response dieting becomes progressively less effective, and a plateau is reached at which further weight loss seems all but impossible."

When someone is above their set-point, weight loss is much easier and results are quick. Once you have reached this plateau however (125 for me apparently) the body does everything in it's power to prevent further loss. While you attempt to continue dropping pounds by eating less, the body turns around and slows down your metabolism, counteracting your diet.

The funny thing is, that although the scale didn't reflect it, I feel thinner. I think the added exercise I put in this month-a 4 mile run from Santa Monica pier to Venice pier, a 6 mile hike in Malibu, and extra abs classes that I usually opt out of-did make a difference. So while my body was conserving more calories due to the dieting, I think it was using those calories to form lean muscle.

Perhaps the lesson to learn from this failed attempt is to not rely solely on a scale as a measure of my fitness accomplishments.

With my new understanding of the body's "set-point" or as some call it, happy weight, I have a new goal for this year. Instead of trying to drop 5 pounds, I will still focus on getting leaner and measure it by how I feel, how my clothes fit, and not what the numbers on the scale say.

I will continue to hold myself accountable by keeping a log of the number of days I clock at the gym and healthy food choices I make. Instead of fixating on the amount of food I consume, I will focus on the quality of my meals. And while I will probably never get down to that "perfect" number, I will continue to sculpt my body and hopefully still achieve what I had pictured when setting my original goal.

OK. Now as promised, you can pass judgment below...

Comments