Shocking Your Body Into Shape

I've always been intrigued by infomercials for machines that supposedly work your body out for you.

Although I am highly skeptical of these alternative methods, and definitely not a big enough sucker to actually buy one, I've still wondered if they might actually work.

Well at a pre-Emmys party recently I was awarded a gift certificate to try out a treatment similar to the ones I've seen on T.V.
The EMS Body Transformer at CityLife Spa on Robertson claims to tighten and tone your muscles while you kick back, relax, and flip through a mag for an hour.

EMS stands for Electrical Muscle Stimulation and works by delivering electrical impulses to your muscles through electrodes which make them contract involuntarily. As unbelievable as this sounds as a form of fitness, EMS machines are regulated by the FDA and were endorsed by Olympic track coach Charlie Francis, who used them on athletes in the 80's.

They are traditionally used only in medical settings to prevent muscles from atrophy during rehabilitation, but the FDA has also approved them for muscle toning. The FDA however, rejects claims that EMS machines can cause weight loss.

So does it work?

When I went in for my "shock therapy," I must say I was a little weirded out by being hooked up to so many wires like E.T. after he was captured by the scientists.

But once the impulses started flowing and my abs began activating, I could tell that it was working. With each wave my muscles were visibly contracting, working harder than they ever had with my efforts alone. Each sensation felt like a mild tingling, annoying at worst, but never painful.

The woman at the spa told me that the treatment is equivalent to doing 900 sit-ups, 900 push-ups, and 900 leg lifts in one hour and burns about 300 calories.

But when it was all over, I felt fine. "Bogus, I knew it," I thought.

The next day however, when I jumped on the treadmill, I felt the effects of the treatment. Each muscle group that was attached to an electrode felt sore, like I had worked it to exhaustion. And while I didn't see a difference on the scale, it definitely did something.

The spa recommends about 10 sessions to see results though, so I wasn't expecting an immediate change.

Verdict: While EMS devices are approved to strengthen and tone, they are not cleared at this time for weight loss. So with that in mind...those that have the money to do multiple sessions or those who want a break from busting their butts in the gym, give it a try!

A trial session at CityLife is $25 and they have packages for multiple treatments.

For more info about EMS check out this Q&A on MedicineNet.com

Comments