Too Fat For T.V.?

Photo Credit : Streiber/CBS

Marie Claire magazine is taking some major heat today for this opinion piece criticizing the "obese" characters on the CBS comedy "Mike & Molly."

In the article titled, "Should Fatties Get a Room?," writer Maura Kelly basically says she is disgusted by extremely overweight people and does not want to see them on television, much less being romantic on television.

"I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything," writes Kelly.

Her disclaimer is that being obese is the same as other unhealthy behaviors.

"I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair," writes Kelly.

The article has caused a huge backlash against Marie Claire and Kelly, including prompting "Molly" to cancel her subscription to the mag.

Kelly has now responded, apologizing for her hurtful words.

I agree that what she said was extremely harsh. But I also question, should America be glorifying unhealthy, and potentially life-threatening lifestyles?

What do you think? Weigh in below!

Comments