Working Out For the Weekend

Although it may be hard to remember with all the cold, fog, and rain in your face, just last week Los Angeles had its hottest day ever.

And with the sun shining, my boyfriend and I decided it was the perfect weekend take a spur of the moment trip to Catalina Island.

This large land mass off the coast of Long Beach is a quick 40 minute drive and a one hour boat ride from L.A.-or a 10 minute helicopter jaunt if that's how you roll-and a great place to partake in a ton of sea-faring fitness opportunities.

Since this gloom too shall pass, I encourage everyone in the area to take a trip to Catalina sometime soon to experience all the exciting outdoor exercise options I encountered.


I had been eying the island as my next dive spot for sometime, and was so happy the weather would permit a surprisingly late season swim at the Avalon Underwater Park.


Did you know scuba diving burns anywhere from 400-700 calories an hour?


And you won't even notice it's a workout when you're busy marveling at all the underwater amazingness.


Don't scuba? Don't worry. Snorkeling is offered all over the island and you can bring your own equipment to try out the park too. It burns about 340 calories per hour.

After a day and night of hard-core diving I was thoroughly worn out, and celebrated my cardiovascular success with a big chicken burger at Coney Island West.


The fast food priced stand surprisingly served the sandy on a whole wheat bun, with lean grilled chicken, and without butter, oil, or mayo. I must say, I'm always incredibly impressed when I can find healthy, hearty food options for only $5!

The next day we trekked to the top of Hermit Gulch Trail on a 6-mile loop. It takes about 3 miles round trip just to get to the base of the trail, so we're talking an all together 9-mile route.

The first 1.7 miles of the hike are straight uphill
, and I would classify it as one of the more intense climbs I've done.


If you want to prolong your sight seeing though, the trail continues for an 11-mile loop as well.
According to this calorie counter, you burn about 500 calories an hour hiking.


With my info inputted, I burned about 830 cals for the 2 hour tour.


The beautiful views culminate at the island's Botanical Garden where you crazy Californians can check out what we Arizonans call cacti.


Since I was only there for a day and a half I missed out on a few other fun outdoor activities that I will be sure to hit up next time.

Catalina has a gorgeous 9-hole golf course where you could burn about 450 calories in 2 hours.


The paths surrounding the island and winding through the hills welcome leisurely cyclists and extreme mountain bikers alike.

And the Catalina Island County Club even has tennis courts for those looking for a pickup game.

Kayaking, fishing, and beach volleyball are a few other recreational sports offered on the island.

Despite what you may think, this is not a paid for advertisement :)

I just really enjoyed my mini vacay and love every opportunity to combine my love of travel with my love of losing lbs!

Comments