Sculpting in Style at Studio MDR


What's better than Pilates, Strength Training, and Cardio? Doing all three at once!

That's what you get with the revolutionary Pilates Plus machine, "The Megaformer," found at Santa Monica's hottest new fitness spot The Studio MDR.
The Studio uses these challenging machines, made by the creator of the SPX Fitness System Sebastien Lagree, to tone and tighten your body by working multiple muscles at once with slow controlled movements.


I've done my fair share of Pilates combo classes but have never tried anything like this. The Megaformer is a multi-use machine that has you combining push-ups with ab exercises, lunges with leg lifts, and bicep curls with squats.


MDR
is an amazing total body blast that torches around 500 calories per hour long session. The key to its effectiveness is that the routine "attacks each and every muscle in a very concentrated and focused manner to sculpt strong, powerful and lean bodies."

And the best part? The Studio is adorable.

The pink walls adorned with deer and birds (and a few skulls for the men) make for a cheerful atmosphere that encourages energy. And you get to wear awesome toe-less socks for stability.


I tried it for my first time last week and was blown away. Despite the low speed of the movements, it was hard. I worked up a sweat in the first 10 minutes and felt my heart rate soaring the entire class.

Check out my attempts to keep up:



If owner Lisa Hirsch's body is any indication of the class's effectiveness, it's clear it works.


The incredibly fit blond told me that she once worried about flabby arms (as I do), until she tried SPX.

"I am that girl that has tried every workout around since back in the day," Hirsch told me. "Whether it was doing the Jane Fonda workout with my mom to some crazy jumprope class. When it comes down to it, SPX is truly what has changed my body-given me the arms that I have always wanted, and abs that people say 'how do you get those,' but not too muscular."

Hirsch says it takes about 6 to 12 weeks to see the major changes in your body.

I spoke to a few other MDR devotees who told me they take class 2 to 3 times a week along with extra cardio 3 to 4 times a week. And believe me, they looked great.


I felt sore in all the right places the next day and knew that I had found a truly intense and effective class. I will definitely be back very soon.

Check MDR's schedule here to try a class for yourself.

Comments