Loafing Around

I usually have a million errands to run on the weekend but this weekend for once, I had nothing to do. I decided I had better not just loaf around, but make some actual use of my free time and finally get around to trying out one of the recipes I've been eying.

Oh She Glows is one of my absolute favorite blogs and the writer, Angela, makes some pretty fabulous vegan treats so I was excited to finally attempt one of them. I chose her amazing looking Peanut Butter Banana Bomb Muffins. These things truly look B-o-m-b.

Of course, as usual I was missing a few ingredients so I had to make due. I also found out mid-batter that I didn't have a muffin pan! Go figure. I decided to make two loafs instead. Here's how it went:

Whitney's Lazy Saturday Loaf
for Angela's original recipe click here.
Ingredients

1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 T ground flaxseed
1 t cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of fine grain sea salt
1 t baking soda

2 T ground flax + 6 T water, whisked (replaces 2 eggs)
1 t vanilla extract
1/2 cup blue agave syrup
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup light vanilla soy milk

crushed walnuts

1/4 cup fat free greek yogurt
1 T agave
2 T natural peanut butter
1/2 natural applesauce

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Mix the first set of dry ingredients together in one bowl.


3. Make the "fake" eggs in a small bowl and set aside.


4. Mix the second set of wet ingredients together in a large bowl.


5. Add the fake eggs.

6. Slowly fold in the dry ingredients.


7. Pour into two greased loaf pans.


8. Top with crushed walnuts.


9. Toss in the oven for about 40-50 minutes.

10. While you wait, mix together the last set of ingredients for your peanut butter drizzle.


11. Pour into a plastic bag.


12. Once the loafs are done and cooled, cut a hole in the bottom corner of the bag, and decorate.


13. Slice and enjoy!


To be honest, I didn't think my topping was as good as I'm sure Angela's was. Unfortunately, I ran out of bananas. Her recipe calls for a mashed one where I used applesauce. I also think normal yogurt, not Greek, would have worked better.

You can also just enjoy it warm with some tasty Earth Balance butter.

If I make this again, I will 1. Get a muffin pan, and 2. Make sure I have the right ingredients! It turned out great anyway though and I'm bringing one to my girlfriend for her birthday tomorrow.

Happy Loaf Day Shenae!

Comments