Ch-Ch-Ch-Chia Seeds!


I know I'm way behind on this trend, but if it took me this long to get on the train, then I figured you guys might need a reminder to try it out too.

Chia may sounds familiar because of a little foliage friend called the "Chia Pet," popular in the 80's.


But unlike this Rover replacement, the Chia seeds I'm talking about are actually edible.

Chia, a.k.a. Salvia hispanica, is a plant native to Mexico and Guatemala. It's seeds are chalk full of omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, protein, and tons of nutrients and minerals.

It's basically the new flaxseed.


A serving of seeds is about 60 cals, 4 g. good fat, 5 g. fiber, and 2 g. protein per tablespoon.

You can throw them in a salad, cereal, or any baked good for an instant health boost. Or, as you'll see a lot of bloggers doing these days, soak the seeds overnight with oats for a creamy porridge like breakfast treat.

That's exactly what I did for my first Chia encounter.

I mixed the ingredients below together, and soaked the mixture in my fridge overnight.

1/2 C. Natural Oats (150)
1 C. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (40)
1 Tbs. Chia (60)
1 Sliced Banana (80)


In the morning, I tossed in a few blueberries (about 25 for 1/3 cup) and went to town.

It was delish!

Total Calories: 355

This is definitely not the last time I will choose Chia!

Comments