Eating Fresh for Earth Day, and Everyday

Update 4/25/2011: More pics!


Akasha Richmond and Ashley Koff, R.D.



Me and my new friend Kat from "The Edible Skinny."




**Pics courtesy of John Konkal, Konkal Photography!

Happy Earth Day everyone!

Last night I attended a special Earth Day cocktail party at the popular Culver City restaurant Akasha.

[Photo by Alen Lin, taken in 2008]

Although I'd heard raving reviews of their menu from many people, I had never tried it for myself. Well last night blew me away.

The event was hosted by the restaurant's namesake, owner/chef Akasha Richmond, and her nutrition guru Ashley Koff, R.D.

Ashley gives Akasha the low-down on what's organic, local, and awesome for your body/the earth, while Akasha takes her recommendations and turns them into magnificent healthy meals.


Some of the ingredient highlights in the dishes last night included hemp seeds, coconut butter, locally grown produce, and super tasty acai cocktails.

The drinks were made with VeeV, an acai infused vodka.


And while I got major antioxidants from this spirit, I also helped the environment! A percentage of the profits from VeeV go to the Sustainable Acai Project, which benefits farming communities in the Brazilian Rainforest where the berries are harvested.


But even more impressive than the drinks were the incredible bite size appetizers we got to nosh on.


From tuna tartar on cucumber slices-to mini turkey burgers-to deconstructed egg and asparagus toasts, everything was absolutely amazing. And knowing that what you're eating is environmentally friendly makes it taste that much better.


Last night was a great reminder that you can make fabulous meals and use healthy, sustainable ingredients to not only benefit your body but benefit your world.

I love all the ideas (and products) I got from the party, and definitely plan on incorporating them into some of my upcoming recipes. Stay tuned for some hemp heavy dishes!

**Also, I'll update this post with more pictures from the party later.

Comments