A World Away


As you know, I set out last Sunday to find an awesome hike in the L.A. area that I'd never done before. Since I love waterfalls, I used that as the main requirement for my search, and pinpointed Sturtevant Falls in the Los Angeles Mountains.


I had no idea that we had any real mountains here, but to those (like me) who have never made it north of Franklin Blvd... surprise, surprise, we do.


And they are beautiful!

To get to the falls you take a winding road to Chantry Flats in the Santa Anita Canyon. Buy a National Parks parking pass for $5, and signs will lead you straight to the 40-ft beast.


The 4 mile, out-and-back, trail may not seem much at first.


You begin with a long decline down a paved road. But it's the 1/2 mile steep return that will give you your main workout.


Once off the paved path, you'll be transported to a tree covered trail that winds it's way past cute forest cottages, bridges, and man-made water walls.


I felt like I was a world away from the buzzing city. This is a legit lush, green forest!


After about 2 miles, and carefully making your way across a few streams...


...you'll reach the falls.



Though they were absolutely gorgeous, the spot is packed on the weekend. My main advice would be to go on a week day, or late in the afternoon after the families have cleared out.

It only takes about 45 minutes from West Hollywood to get there.

Also, though the hike was not as strenuous as I usually prefer, the half mile straight uphill at the end is pretty intense, and will have you huffing and puffing.

If you're a nature lover, you're not going to want to miss this one!


P.S. Today is my Mom's birthday. Mom, I'm taking you here the next time you come!

Comments