Weigh Low: Crab-tastic Cakes

Ever since I made my famous (at least in my mind) Lobster Shrimp Wontons, I've been dying to try my hand at another specialty seafood item...crab meat!

I love crab cakes. But I also know that mass amounts of mayonnaise, butter, and bread crumbs go into the traditional recipes, ick!

So after reading Kath's healthy salmon cake recipe, I decided to try it out using canned white crab meat. As I suspected, it was awesome...and very low cal. Check it out:

Crabtastic Cakes adapted from Maryland Salmon Cakes

Ingredients:
-6 oz. can Crab Meat (80)
-2 Tbs. Whole wheat Bread Crumbs (make from scratch by toasting bread and processing)(15)
-1 Egg White (17)
-1 Tbs. Fat-Free Mayo (15)
-1 Tsp. Mustard
-1 Tsp. Dill
-1 Tsp. Oregano
-1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
-1/2 Tsp. Smoked Paprika

Directions:

1. Pre-heat broiler on LOW. (Baking at 450 and then high broiling for last few minutes might work too).

2. Mix dry ingredients.


3. Mix wet ingredients.


4. Add crab to the dry mixture.


5. Add the wet mixture.


6. Form into 1 large or 2 small crab cakes.


7. Spray a baking sheet or pan with Pam and low broil for 20 minutes.


Total Calories: about 125 for whole recipe


Quadruple the recipe if you'd like to serve as appetizers for a group. You could also make them into tiny crab cake balls and skewer them for a party (obviously you'll need to adjust the baking time).

I served mine on a bed of steamed broccoli slaw with a side of "aioli," which I made by combined a bit of mayo, mustard, garlic powder, and smoked paprika.

Yum, tastes like summer!

Comments