Weigh Low: Mom's Confetti Salad


I went home to Tucson this past weekend for a friend's wedding, and while I was there I got a chance to have a few fabulous meals with my family.

My mom is an amazing cook. Growing up I didn't really appreciate this. Due to her attempts to get my sister and I to eat healthy food, she was dubbed "the fruit and veggie police" by my friends (much to my embarrassment).

But now that I'm older and I too have jumped on the clean cooking bandwagon, I am so appreciate to her for instilling in me her healthy habits.

Below is one of her famous vegetable recipes, which she creatively doused in sugar in order to get us to eat it. I've replaced regular cane sugar in it though with Truvia, in order to lower the cal count. It tastes great though, almost as good as the original.

Mom's Confetti Salad


-1 C. Frozen Peas (117)
-1 C. Shredded Carrots (35)
-1 C. Cauliflower (30)
-5 Radishes (5)
-3 Stalks Celery (0)
-1/4 C. Scallions (8)


-1/4 C. Balsamic Vinegar (40)
-2 Tbs. Olive Oil (240)
-2 Tbs. Truvia (0)

Directions:

1. Shred the carrots, defrost peas, and dice all the veggies.


2. Whisk the oil, vinegar, and sugar together.


3. Pour dressing over the veggies and refrigerate for at least an hour.


Total Calories: 120 per serving (makes about 4 servings, 1 C. each)

My mom actually makes this with regular vinegar and I'm sure whatever kind you have will work.

This is a great side dish for grilled fish and meats. I also added chilled shrimp to it for lunch one day.


Thanks Mom!

Comments