Weigh Low: Salmon Burger Pita Pockets

I am a major turkey burger fanatic, but this weekend I decided to switch it up a bit.

I found a recipe for salmon burgers and thought I would add an extra element of surprise to the fish dish by throwing in a little Mediterranean flavor, and making Salmon Burger Pita Pockets instead. Way healthier than using a bun, way more fun than a burger.
They turned out great! Here's the recipe to try to yourself:
Ingredients:

3/4 lb of Salmon (135 calories each)
1 1/2 Tbs. Soy Sauce (6)
2 Tsp Sesame Oil (20)
1 Tsp. crushed Garlic
1/3 C. Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs (30)
1/2 C. chopped Cilantro

Directions:

1.  Remove the salmon from it's skin and cut into cubes.


 2. Puree salmon, oil, soy sauce, and garlic in a food processor. I didn't have one, but my Magic Bullet worked surprising well.


3. Add in bread crumbs and cilantro and process again.

4. Form mixture into 4 patties.


6. Grill in a lightly oiled pan (I use a quick spray of Pam) for about 4 minutes on each side.


7. Stuff half of a Whole Wheat Pita (60) with a burger, lettuce, tomatoes, and a tablespoon of Trader Joe's Tzatziki (15).


Total Calories: 266 per pita, makes four.


And if you have some leftover, they make great salads for the work week.

Enjoy!

Comments