3 Surprising Things Effecting Your Weight

I'm very distressed this morning. 

Three new studies have provided concrete evidence that these surprising factors affect your weight. Luckily, I think I only have two to worry about:

1. Sleep


A series of recent studies showed that people who got less than six hours of sleep a night for just four consecutive nights were at at higher risk for gaining weight. 

Why?

-Higher levels of Ghrelin (the hunger signaling hormone) and lower levels of Leptin (the hormone that lets you know you're full). These altered levels showed up in people after just two nights of poor sleep (under four hours). This confirms a belief I've held for a long time. I am always much hungrier throughout the entire day after waking up super early for a morning flight.

-One study showed that women specifically consumed about 400 more calories per day.

-Loss of sleep causes the body to produce the stress hormone, cortisol, which prompts the body to store fat and use muscle for energy. One of the studies showed that dieters lacking sleep lost less fat and more muscle than those getting their full 8 hours.

So what's the magic number? I've read in several magazines that it depends on the person. The participants in these studies who got "good" amounts, had anywhere from 8.5 to 10 hours per night. I feel best with about 8-9. Considering I like to wake up at 6, this means I need to go to bed at 9 p.m....which is really killing my social life. 

Sorry Lilo, but I can't meet you at Lure tonight.

2. Shacking up w/ your Boyfriend


Yikes! Abe, I'm seriously re-considering this whole moving in together thing. 

According to a new study, 33% women who moved in with their boyfriends ended up eating more. On the flip side, men reported eating less! Not fair. 

The report says this is due to couples eating similar portion sizes when one person (usually the woman) actually needs less food. It can also be caused by the fact that women and men have different dietary needs, and merging your meals means that one person may be missing out on the nutrition they need. 

Finally, men in the study reported that after moving in together they ate more "womanly foods," like yogurt and salad. 

Wow, I didn't realize food had genders. I wonder if the scientists found out about these "womanly foods" in some informative binders full of women.

3. Your Friends

A study published this year shows that your friend's weight can actually influence your own. Obese participants with thin friends had a 40% chance of losing weight over the course of a year, and only a 27% chance of gaining. On the other hand, obese participants with obese friends had a 56% chance of gaining weight and only a 15% chance of losing.

Luckily, all my friends are total babes so I think this bodes well for me. But just to be sure, I'm going to start hanging out around the Ford Models building on Sunset. "Hey Ladies, want to go Starbucks and share a cup of crushed ice?" Other good options for finding thin friends: the gym, the beach, and Leann Rimes' book club.

Happy Halloween weekend!

Comments