5 DIY Red Carpet Makeover Tips

It's that time of year again...awards season!

The red carpets, the parties, the champagne...well, at least for the celebs. For reporters like me, it's standing in the cold, behind the velvet rope, and...screaming at them. Not as glamourous as it sounds. But when you're in the presence of greatness (I'm talking about Ben Affleck obviously), you have to at least look like you fit in.

The season started for me on Saturday night when I headed to Palm Springs to cover the PS Film Festival Awards Gala. Luckily I had all my trusty glam-tips on hand and pulled off what I'd like to think was a stellar red carpet look.
So how do I get an A-list look on a struggling journalist's budget? Simple, I fake it! And with a few budget beauty tips and an eye for fab fashion, you can too.

While you may not be actually attending any of this season's awards shows (or maybe you are, "Hey Jen Aniston, thanks for reading the blog!"), you probably have some special event that you need to look fabulous for...even if it's just and Academy Awards viewing party.

5 Tips DIY Tips to Get Red Carpet Ready

1. A Fabulous Fake Bake

The star's best secret to looking skinny: a great fake bake. But you don't need to shell out $60-$80 for a custom spray tan, you can do it at home. My favorite brand is St. Tropez

It comes in foam form with a squishy mitt to put it on. Though it costs about $30, it lasts for like six months. Unlike a lot of home tanning kits, it doesn't streak and is so easy to use. It's also way better than doing the $20 Mystic Tan that can leave you looking like Lindsay Lohan (orange lines near your Louboutins-or knock off LV's-are not classy). Put it on the day before your big event and sleep in it overnight. You'll have a fabulous, natural glow the next day.

2. Lucrative Lashes
Celebrities have such lovely, long lashes don't they?! No, they don't. They have falsies (their lashes that is). If you've only ever pulled out the "spider legs" for your high school prom, step out of your comfort zone, and try them again. Lashes are super easy to put on and so cheap. You can buy them for about $3 at Sally Hansen Beauty Supply Store or Walgreens. 

Find a natural looking pair (believe me, you don't need much). Measure them to your eye (shorter side on the inside) and cut off any excess. You can also do a half-lash, which is even easier to apply. Use a q-tip to apply a very thin layer of glue along the lash line. Using a pair of tweezers simply lie the lash along your natural lash line. Carefully press with the q-tip, and seal. Wait a minute for it to dry. Easy peasy! 

Still having trouble? Watch this video.

3. No Money, No Problem Nails
A lot of women consider a bi-weekly Mani-Pedi to be their god given right. It is one of the few beauty regimens I too regularly indulge in. But when you cook as much as I do, a mani only lasts about a day or two. To save money, I get polish changes. 

A polish change is like a quickie-mani, without the cuticle cutdown. It costs $6, as opposed to $12-$18 for a full manicure. And you don't feel bad changing them the next day for a new event/outfit. I also hate sitting around at a nail salon (unless of course I'm getting the pay per minute massages--my #1 guilty pleasure). With a polish change, you're in and out in about 15 to 20 minutes. Love it.

4. Wallet Friendly Waves
Skip the blowout! You don't need to be BFF's with Ken Paves to get starworthy strands. All you need is some hairspray, and a cheapie styling wand. Watch my tutorial for how to get va-va-voom curls in no time: Beachy Waves for the Budget Babe.

5. A Designer Dress, for Less
Borrowed Aidan Mattox dress

I love it when people compliment me on an outfit or ask me where I bought something, because most of the time it's something super cheap. I think there is something very cool about being able to share your amazing fashion finds with other chicks. When someone compliments you on a dress and you're like, "Yeah, it's Narcisco Rodriguez," it's just not as fun as saying, "Oh my gosh it was $40 at Zara." (Never actually had that happen since I can't afford Narcisco Rodriguez mind you). 

But for the ultimate red carpet look... Rent the Runway. I know, I know, you could get a fab dress at Forever 21 or Zara for the same price. But for that really special occasion (maybe Valentine's Day?) you might want a super gorgeous, designer dress. Still too much? Trade with your friends. You know you can only wear that red, pointy shouldered number a couple of times before people start commenting about it on facebook. Share the wealth with your stylish sistas. Start a trade-off email chain with your best pals. Just don't forget to dry clean.

Weigh in: What's your best budget babe beauty tip?

I have many more sneaky tips, but those are the top ones. For more suggestions, email me. And follow me on Twitter @WhitneyLEnglish for all my awards season updates. Next up, the People's Choice Awards on Wednesday. Wish me luck!

Comments