WIAW: Tangy, Nutty Kale Salad

Well guys, the blog revamp is almost complete. I'm so excited I could eat a sugar-free cupcake! In the meantime you'll have to bear with this cumbersome layout for a little longer. But hey, at least I have some fab new recipes to keep you coming back.

March's What I Ate Wednesday theme from Jenn over at Peas and Crayons is "Going Green." So as an ode to my favorite color, I made a delicious kale salad that will knock your socks off. It's fast, easy, and has very few ingredients. 

Bring this to your upcoming St. Patty's Day Celebration...on second thought, don't. You might end up with a pitcher of green beer in your face from someone who thinks cheesy potato skins are veggies.

Today's WIAW is from yesterday...

Pre-Breakfast:

I was so proud of myself. 

Yesterday I woke up at 6:45 to make it to an early morning Cyclelates class. Because I can't work out on an empty stomach, I downed one of these delish protein drinks a friend recently gave me. It's from the makers of Muscle Milk, but it is way healthier than their usual formula. Evolve has 12 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, and only 110 calories. AND there's only 7 grams of sugar...very uncommon for your average protein shake. 

It was just what I needed to get through the strenuous workout.

Breakfast

The usual: six egg whites, a whole wheat bagel w/ a T. of peanut butter, and coffee. Sorry, I know you know this is a recycled pic. But I always eat the same thing!

Lunch

This is where the fun begins. For lunch, I made this kale recipe my mom's friend gave me. Kale is super hot right now, according to Gigi Eats Celebrities, Catt Sadler, and basically everyone I know. Get in on the action with this easy recipe...it's full of flavor and heart-healthy nutrients. 

Tangy, Nutty Kale Salad

Ingredients:

5 C. Shredded Kale
1/4 C. Lemon Juice
1/8 C. Olive Oil
T. Minced Garlic
8 T. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 C. Diced Walnuts

Directions:

1. Put your cleaned kale in a large mixing bowl. 
2. In a small bowl, combine all of the other ingredients, but save 4 T. of the cheese.
3. Pour your dressing over the kale and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in remaining cheese and serve!

See, super easy! The lemon juice and olive oil help break down the kale so it's not so tough, but still a little crunchy.

A 1/4 of the recipe is about 160 calories. But remember, it's all from good fat. And you can always use less cheese and/or less oil.

Dinner

Dinner was another easy Whitney staple, perfect for lazy nights in watching New Girl, The Mindy Project, and Modern Family. I simply used a Whole Foods whole wheat pizza crust and topped it with 1 sliced chicken apple sausage from Applegate Farms, pineapple, a low-cal pizza sauce, and Almond Cheese (at least on my half :)).

I hope these recipes have given you some good ideas for the rest of your week! And perk up, it's only two days till the weekend.

Follow me on Twitter for more recipes, fitness news, and celebrity gossip @WhitneyLEnglish

Comments