A Good Lesson

Sometimes in our enthusiasm and desire to reach the next level in our training, we are tempted to over-reach.  We see people performing advanced exercises and movements in the gym, on websites and YouTube and wish we could do them, perhaps even try them.

Many times we forget that, to get strong and reduce the risk of injury, we must first make sure we have built a solid foundation.  We're human!  We see really "cool" things and think that all we have to do is practice those things and we will get good at them.  The problem is, without the solid foundation and ample time spent practicing the progressions, we risk getting injured doing the "cool" things.

I have allowed myself to fall victim to this temptation.  Despite knowing better, I spent too much time training at a level that my foundation was not ready for.  I progressed too quickly and didn't recover enough.  I got away with it for a while, but the cracks in the foundation eventually caught up with me.

Note:  The movements I speak of are not those that I have posted on this site for others to perform.  I know better than to encourage others to progress too quickly.  I just didn't listen to my own adice!

I am now dealing with a knee injury that occurred doing something that is actually quite basic for me, but was likely the result of over-reaching.  I spent too much time working on the "cool" things without spending enough time preparing my body with the progressions leading to them.  I stressed my body and didn't allow it to recover.

It's a good reminder for me.  Just because one is capable of performing a movement doesn't mean the body is ready to do so, especially on a regular basis!  Progressions are important and one should always take time with them.  It never hurts to take a few steps back and work on the simpler movements and build the capacity at that level before moving forward again.  I should have listened to that little voice in my head.

I will make the most of this lesson.  Most of all, I hope others will learn from it!


Comments