Injury is No Excuse!

I have been fairly hard on my body over the years.  I have had a number of injuries that have set me back.  Some minor, others not so minor.

In 2009, I somehow sustained an injury to the long thoracic nerve on my right side and was unable to lift my arm over my head.  Doctors couldn’t tell me why it happened (maybe viral), they couldn’t tell me if it would recover (maybe in a couple years, maybe not), they couldn’t tell me what to do for it.

I eventually lost all overhead strength on my right side and had limited pressing strength in the horizontal position.  Without the long thoracic nerve, I had no control of my right scapula so it would flare out like a broken chicken wing!  My right lat and serratus anterior completely disappeared.

Although there were many things I couldn’t do, I took the opportunity to work on those things that I could and develop my skills in other areas.  Long story short, the nerve eventually healed and I had to retrain those areas that had weakened.  It took about 3 years!

More recently, I tore my right meniscus.  I had a couple warning signs in the winter of 2013/2014, but did not heed them.  I had probably caused a small tear to the meniscus, but did not seek medical attention.  I continued to push myself and then one evening, out of the blue, while just “messing around”, the right meniscus rebelled and I sustained a substantial bucket handle tear.  No option at this point but to have surgery.

With the belief that the more I could rehab the injury, the better the surgery would go, I started work to regain my mobility as soon as the initial pain and swelling had subsided.  Within 3 months it was hard to tell I had sustained an injury.  I was unable to do some of the more advanced movements I had been doing with that knee, and I was not moving much weight, but much of my mobility and strength had been restored!  I had negligible pain, no swelling and excellent range of motion.

On June 17th I went into surgery and had approximately 50% of the medial meniscus removed.  Two days after surgery I started my recovery work.  Daily rehab work (on my own) … gradually pushing through the pain to restore full extension and flexion of the knee.  After the 3rd and 4th week, a visit to a Sports Therapist for some (painful) deep tissue, active release work that I would never be able to do on myself.

Now, 5 weeks post-op, I am close to full range again.  I’m moving well without pain, squatting to near full depth, performing low-gate movements, running, jumping, rolling, etc.  I had given myself a 6 week deadline to get my full range back and believe I am on track!

My Sports Therapist told me he sees many of these injuries as they are one of the most common.  He told me that, if he did not know any better, he would have thought I was in my 12th week of recovery, rather than my 4th.  He also congratulated me on my ability to rehab myself and  that I rank in the top 3 people he has ever seen to rehab themselves so well.

I share this story not to brag, but to encourage everyone.  The answer to an injury is not to despair and give up.  Some people may decide that they can’t do anything and just stop moving. That decision will only set them further back and make recovery even more difficult.

I have learned and come to respect the principle that tissue will respond to the stimulus it is provided.  If that stimulus is NOTHING, then that tissue will become weaker and movement will be lost.  If, however, that stimulus is CHALLENGE, the tissue will become stronger, heal more quickly and movement will be restored.  That challenge must be reasonable and progressive.  It may not be fun and it will be painful at times, but it MUST be done in order to fully recover in a timely manner.

As Humans we are meant to MOVE!  I fully believe that the progress I have made post-surgery is a result of the work I did before the surgery and continued soon afterwards.  I was not lucky or “blessed” in any way.  I did the work!  I gave my tissues the stimulus needed to get its natural movement back.  The body is astonishing in its ability to heal, provided the right stimulus.

Most of all, I didn’t give up and use the injury as an excuse!  I thought of the people who have dealt in a similar manner with far greater injuries and setbacks.  I just hope to inspire someone else in that way.

P.S. In 2 months I will be celebrating my 54th birthday.  Age is no excuse either!  

Comments