Why Train?

Someone recently asked me if I play sports (because I look fit), to which I replied, “No, I haven’t participated in organized sports in several years”.  He then asked what I do to stay fit.  I replied, “I Train regularly”.

Note: I never say I “workout”, as there is a difference between “working out” and “training” (see this post).  

This response may have confused him, as he replied “What do you train for”?  It was a good question.  After all, what is the purpose of training if you are not going to compete?  My answer was “For my health & for life”.

In my mind, training does not have to be specific to a sport and the ability to compete.  Life presents many challenges of which aging is the greatest challenge of all.  Aging can be a slow process of losing the ability to perform the physical tasks we were designed to perform.  Aging can be the deterioration of health and reduction in the quality of life.

I train to improve and maintain my ability to meet life’s physical demands, to maintain the ability to participate in any activity I chose, and to perform well in those activities.  I train to offset the effects of aging and to maintain a high level of health and quality of life.  After all, why live a long life if you are not able to participate in it?

No matter what age a person is, 25 or 55, the body is in a state of deterioration.  The body is never in “status quo”.  If you are not doing something to improve it, it WILL get worse.  I have met 40 year olds with one foot in the grave, and I have met 70 year olds who are full of life.

I train to be one of those 70 year olds who can still participate in life!


Comments