Thanksgiving: The Good, the Not Great, and the Ugly


Happy Thanksgiving!

Like I said last year, the average American will consume around 3,000 calories at their Thanksgiving meal. That's the same amount the average dieter would aim for in 2 whole days!

So although some of this is obvious, I thought I'd put together a quick cheat sheet to help anyone trying to avoid eating an exorbitant amount of calories this year.

The Good

White Skinless Turkey: 150 calories, per 4 oz

Baked Butternut Squash (no added sugar): 80 cals, per cup

Any plain Vegetables (even if they're topped with a little butter, this is obviously better than other side dish options)

The Not Great

Cranberry Sauce: 100 cals and 25 g. sugar, per 1/4 cup

Green Bean Casserole: 110 cals and 2.5 g. sat fat, per 2/3 cup

Pumpkin Pie: about 230 cals and 2 g. sat fat, per slice

The Ugly

Sweet Potato Casserole: about 200 calories and 20 g. sugar, per 1/2 cup

Pecan Pie: 500 cals and 5 g. sat fat, per slice

I'm bringing my own baked butternut squash, seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg, and stevia to dinner tonight. I'll fill up on that and turkey, then take little bites of all my favorites!

Comments