Jet-setting Style

I like to think of myself as somewhat of a jet-setter.

That is of course if by "jet" you mean coach on Southwest, and by "setting" you mean a one hour fight from LAX to PHX.

It's all just semantics, right?

Anyway, I come to Phoenix once a month for work so I'm always trying to find cute outfits that don't wrinkle, aren't hot (it's 110 degrees here, and this is considered a cool day), and are still work appropriate.

Finally, I need a lot of clothes due to the amount of shoots I have. I can't have my co-workers seeing me in something I just wore on-camera.

So I rely heavily on cheap, cute dresses from places like Urban Outfitters, Zara, H&M, and Forever (yeah, I leave off the 21 cuz I'm cool like that).

This adorable geometric print frock was my latest score.


Their are a few tricks to finding cheap clothes that look high quality...

1. Go for pieces that don't show seams and stitching (unless it's part of the look).

2. Look for outfits that have their own flair. A little originality will make your clothes standout from the sea of knock-offs. I know it's tempting to buy a cute replica of something from the runway, but everyone can tell when you're wearing a knock-off.

I love how this dress makes a deep V in the back. Not super appropriate for work, but hey, I had a cardigan.


3. Either avoid patterns or find patterns like this one that are a little chaotic. One tell-tale sign that you're wearing something low-budget are stripes that don't match up at the seams.

4. Pick loose-fitting pieces. Many cheap dresses are too tight and too short, which immediately has me flashing back to my high school days, picking up bandage skirts and tube tops at Wet Seal. Not. Good. Memories.

 Wedges, Tory Burch (similar ones here); Handbag, Marc by Marc Jacobs

5. Lastly, and this one is a no-brainer so I apologize, pair your outfit with more expensive accessories.


Ah, shoes (Link NSFW).

Comments