5 Sneaky Ways to Suppress Hunger

If you're like me, you're always hungry. I'm hungry when I wake up, hungry immediately after I eat, and definitely hunger when I see a fast food ad. 

Big Macs, mmmmmm.

But what I call "hunger" is almost always caused by something else. Whether I'm sad, stressed, tried, grumpy, or just bored, emotions can often masquerade as hunger, leading to overeating.

So if the political debate being carried out by your uneducated former-stoner friend from junior high and his hillbilly white supremacist uncle on Facebook isn't enough to make you skip lunch for a week, here's a list of 5 other tricks to help you avoid the kitchen when you're not really hungry.

5 Ways to Fool Your Appetite

1. Water

For the same reason it helps you avoid the bread basket at dinner, drinking a lot of water will help keep your appetite at bay all day long. Sometimes when your body is craving consumption, it really just needs water. Chug a glass of water the next time you still feel hungry following a meal. Wait a few minutes, and that feeling should pass.

2. Caffeine


While there's no definitive evidence that caffeine aids in sustained weight loss, it is a proven appetite suppressant. Grab a coffee or tea after lunch to help cruise you through the afternoon slump, and help you avoid your co-worker's birthday cupcakes. Note: If you have stomach problems (acid reflux, namely) coffee could have the reverse effect. I do, and therefore I stick to tea, as too much coffee can irritate my stomach and make me want to eat more.

3. Gum

I think this one is the best trick in the book. Sometimes the desire to eat comes not from hunger but from cravings. Cookies at a holiday office party, an advertisement for Taco Bell, or the smell of baked goods wafting through the mall can all trigger your sweet tooth. But if you're not truly hungry, all your body really needs is a taste. Gum helps satisfy that flavor craving without the calories.

4. Distractions

If your hunger is caused by boredom or worse, emotional upheaval (I know, we're all feeling very vulnerable with Twilight ending), what you really need is to occupy your mind. Grab a book, play Suduko, or challenge your buds to a game of Words With Friends; anything that will take your mind off of whatever is urging you to eat. Even doing actual work (yeah, hard to believe), will help.  My busiest days are often my best diet days. I am so pre-occupied that I don't have time to sit around mindlessly snacking. Whatever you do though, don't distract yourself by watching T.V. (commercials)...or reading food blogs...for obvious reasons.

5. Exercise

I know it seems counterintuitive to attempt working out when you're feeling hungry, but it works. Getting your blood pumping is proven to suppress appetite. When you exercise, your body releases endorphins which increases pain tolerance (hunger pains). Even better news, regular exercise not only immediately helps with hunger, it can also suppress appetite long-term. 

Keep these tips in mind when you're faced with the classic holiday diet land mines (irritating in-laws, decadent desserts, and shopping mall mayhem).

If you're a fan of To Live and Diet in L.A., follow me on Twitter @WhitneyLEnglish. And feel free to  leave comments, questions, or suggestions below in the comment box, or email me directly: english.whitney@gmail.com

Comments